Skip to main content

Recent Health & Safety News And Prosecutions

blog Health & Safety HSE news
Company Fined After Child Dies From Falling Gate

An electric gate company was recently fined after a young boy died from a falling gate incident. The boy was playing on the gate in an underground car park by pushing it open and closed. But the gate—which was installed by the company—lacked an end stop, which allowed the boy to push the gate beyond the retaining mechanism. 

As a result, the gate fell over and fatally crushed the boy. Further investigation revealed that the company not only failed to install an end stop on the gate, but hadn’t noticed the problem during routine maintenance for the past six years. 

The company received the following consequence:

The company was fined £30,000 and ordered to pay full costs of £12,411.46.




Contains public sector information published by the HSE and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.

© 2019 Zywave, Inc. All rights reserved. This publication is for informational purposes only. It is not intended to be exhaustive nor should any discussion or opinions be construed as compliance or legal advice. In relation to any particular problem which they may have, readers are advised to seek specific advice. Further, the law may have changed since first publication and the reader is cautioned accordingly.